Friday, January 15, 2010

Flexitarian


I want a patty melt! I am literally salivating for some red meat. I feel bad though. Partly because my wife is vegetarian and partly because I think the animal cruelty that goes on to give me my juicy meat is wrong. I see pictures of the cruelty, I am fully aware. Somehow I am still able to block it all out and eat a burger. When it comes to hot wings or ribs, I see the remains of the dead animal and the bones. It is easy to push the plate away, but the burger is disguised and delicious. Because I eat meat so little, when I do it eat, my stomach rumbles and tumbles. I feel my insides struggling to break it down.

Meat eating is just like smoking. I quit so long ago, but when I see someone enjoying their cig, I want one. When I see someone enjoying their patty melt, I want one. I believe I quit smoking successfully by not hanging around other people who smoke. Because my wife is a vegetarian it makes it easier to refrain from eating meat. When I am on my own though it is virtually impossible to avoid temptation. I am sure I will regret eating my patty melt later today and tomorrow when I experience the rumbles and tumbles in my belly just like when I smoke a cigarette now and feel physically terrible the next day.

I hope that quiting meat eating is like quiting smoking. Over time it will become easier, but today I am going to eat a fucking patty melt.

No comments: